Thursday, February 21, 2008

My Meme Ransom Note














For my meme ransom note, I went around and took photographs of store and brand signs in New York. It says "Welcome to my meme nest. Won't you be my neighbor." I don't have any artistic philosophical reasons for choosing this; instead I wanted to use my ransom font write the last thing you would expect to be written as a ransom note: a Mr. Rogers quote. The "meme nest" refers to Daniel Dennett's quote, "The brain is a meme nest." I thought this quote was very interesting and translates well into a freaky font like the one I have created. It almost seems like something one would read on a Lolcat image. My choice of Mr. Rogers' famous line, "Won't you be my neighbor" is really just to be creepy, and put something once thought to be harmless into this odd context. Overall, I had a hard time coming up with a meme, mainly because I am so familiar with many internet memes already, so it was hard to separate myself from them.

About memes in general, I was very intrigued by Blackmore's concept of our body as a collection of giant memes. It really makes sense because our best, most popular and successful traits are passed on during the evolutionary process. It really opened my eyes when it comes to some of the stupider, but very popular internet memes out there, and that an overwhelming amount of people must find them funny in order for them to be passed on

1 comment:

dominic said...

It is indeed a creepy font. And content-wise too, a bit unsettling. Plus I'm very glad to hear that someone inundated with web-memes could reflect on it, and then make their own contribution to the memosphere. (Or is that what my meme nest wants me to think? . . . . aaaahhhhhhh)