Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cuture Jamming Photoshop
















In this image, my main culture jamming message is that hybrid cars are not the solution to climate change, like so many politicians try to say. Hybrid engines, when used with smaller, lighter, more economical cars can certainly reduce our fuel consumption, but some American auto manufacturers are starting to produce hybrid SUVs. I think this is absolutely asinine and completely counter productive. These cars barely get better mileage than their standard counterparts. However, most importantly, they give their drivers the piece of mind that they are "going green" when in reality, the pollution from the battery plants offset the emissions the car will save on the road.

I had seen that sad polar bear, and a different penguin superimposed on a melting glacier, so I don't take credit for that. However, I chose t ad a smirking Dick Cheney in the corner, and a constitutionally impossible "Bush Cheney '08" sticker at the bottom.

The SUV and text in my ad is very similar to a series of culture jamming "commercials" back in 2006. Chevy decided to create a website for their new Tahoe where people could go and piece together their own ad for the truck. You were given 20 images, a few songs, and the ability to put in text. Of course, jammers from all over the internet started flooding the site with hilarious ads that mocked the Tahoe's poor gas mileage, disregard for the environment, and unnecessary size. My image kind of plays off this, but I was only reminded of the ads after I came up with my idea. Overall, I feel that my image takes other culture jamming messages and pieces them together in a humorous way.

1 comment:

dominic said...

Agreed.
Very nicely done, Henry. The polar bear looks so very sad. Of course, ethanol production seems to be just as bad for the planet as fossil fuels. Doh!
And I like your video bar.
Do want indeed.